Monday, August 2, 2010

African Daisies and summer dyes

This summer, I've been crocheting these little African Daisy motifs after seeing them on MinInspiration and Elizabeth Cat's blogs.

A simple little pattern, but good fun and a great way to use up some of these single skein hand-spun yarns I seem to be accumulating...and the colours make me happy.

Speaking of colours and happiness, at long last, here are a couple of the results of my first attempts to dye yarn using the Majic Carpet dyes (as mentioned in my first post).

The ball at the left was the very first one I did. It reminds me of the heavily saturated colours, hot weather and rambunctious floribunda of early summer and has been named "Go-go
Gauguin".

The same colours were used to dye the skein below, but I modified the water to dye ratio.


As with many attempts at imitation, some of the carefree vibrancy of the original has been diluted.

All in all, quite pleased with both trials...and am currently waiting for a KoolAid-dyed trial skein (ratio: three Cherry to one Grape) to cool off so that I can rinse and dry it.

No comments: